All About Your Oily Skin
Everyone needs a certain amount of natural oil on his or her skin to stay moisturized. Skin types and skin concerns are classified by how much oil your skin naturally produces, causing you to have dry, oily, or combination skin.
Oily skin is just as it sounds—excess oil on the face, producing a shiny and greasy appearance.
Sebaceous glands located within skin are responsible for releasing an oily substance called sebum through your pores. This sebum (oil) moisturizes skin, protecting it from drying out or becoming irritated. It also removes dead skin cells and other irritants from your pores. However, when over-active sebaceous glands produce excess sebum, your skin will look shiny and greasy and your pores can become clogged, leading to acne flare-ups and irritations. Over-active glands are simply hereditary—it’s the luck of the draw.
If you have oily skin, you may notice some of these daily effects:
- Face is shiny and appears greasy later on in the day.
- Makeup doesn’t stay on and seems to slide off.
- The oilier areas of your face have blackheads, pimples, and other types of acne.
- Pores are enlarged, especially on your nose, chin, and forehead.
Take special note of your T-zone when examining your skin type. The T-zone is the region on your face consisting of the forehead and nose, which naturally tends to have more active oil glands. If your T-zone is oily but the rest of your face is naturally dry, then you have combination skin type. If it feels like you’re shiny all over—oily skin is your concern.
In order to heal your skin and stop buildup, you must take precautions each day! Here are some ways to get rid of the excess oil:
- Wash your skin regularly. Our TEN Kale Cleanser is full of nutrients and antioxidants to help fight free radical damage and strengthen your skin’s protective barrier.
- Tone your skin throughout the day with our Rose Water Hydra-Mist! Toning with ingredients such as witch hazel is known to soothe skin and help balance skin levels.
- Apply a face mask one to two times a week. Our Bamboo Charcoal Detox Mask contains activated ingredients that can absorb oils and reduce skin shininess and sebum levels without irritating your skin.
- Fight oil with oil. Not all oil is created equal, so be careful with this step! By using an oil-based product, it attracts the natural oil and can dissolve the sebum, grease, or makeup without stripping the skin of its natural oils. However, you NEED to use a non-comedogenic oil. Want to learn more? Check out our blog “Facial Oils Fight Oily Skin.” For a shortcut on choosing oil, check out TEN’s recommended Rosehip Argan Facial Oil.
Ready to combat oily skin? Shop by your skincare concern at TEN Skyncare!
Not 100-percent sure of your skin-type? Take our quiz to help you figure it out and treat your skin to a better routine.